Assam Current Affairs 2018 | January (1st January to 31st January) in brief
Assam publishes first draft of NRC with 1.9 crore names
Assam State Government has published first draft of Supreme Court monitored National Register of Citizens (NRC).
- As per Supreme Court directive, draft NRC for Assam was to be published on or before December 31, 2017.
- Registrar General of India, Sailesh has stated that first draft of NRC contains names of 1.9 crore applicants. Names of these applicants have been verified out of 3.29 crore population.
9th High Powered Review Board Meeting of Brahmaputra Board Held in Assam: 9th meeting of High Powered Review Board (HPRB) of Brahmaputra Board was held at Kaziranga in Assam on December 30, 2017.
- The meeting was chaired by Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, NitinGadkari.
- 237 crore project for protection of Majuli Island from flood and erosion has been ratified.
Assam CM inaugurates skill development centres across the state: Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has launched nearly 249 skill development centres throughout Assam.
- These skill development centres aim to improve skilled manpower in Assam. These centres provide vocational training to the youth of Assam and help them to be financially independent.
- These centres were launched at a programme held at Srimanta Sankardev Kalakshetra in Guwahati. The programme was organized by Department of Skill, Employment and Entrepreneurship.
Assam to introduce digital budget
The Assam Assembly is to introduce digital budget in its upcoming session, instead of the conventional printed booklet.
- The Assembly session will start from 6th February 2018. Assam budget will be presented in a digital form by Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on 12th March 2018.
- Other new elements to be introduced in the Assam Assembly are: ‘Members Hour’, a year-long calendar, ‘Best Legislator Award’, formation of Pay Commission for MLAs’ salary and fellowships for research work on history of the Assembly.
Assam Governor releases postage stamp in memory of Dr. Talimeren Ao
On 28th January 2018, Assam Governor Prof. Jagdish Mukhi released a postage stamp in memory of eminent football player Dr. TalimerenAo at Sports Authority of India (SAI) complex playground in Paltan Bazar, Guwahati, Assam.
- The postage stamp was released in memory of Dr. Talimeren Ao to mark his birth centenary year. Dr. Talimeren Ao was born on 28 January 1918.
- He played a key role in familiarizing football in Assam. He headed the Indian Football Team during the 1948 London Olympics. Professionally, Dr. Talimeren Ao was a doctor. He also worked as an Assistant Civil Surgeon.
Bhogali Bihu celebrated in Assam with traditional fervour& gaiety: On 14th January 2018, the Bhogali Bihu also called as Magh Bihu festival began in Assam.
- The Bhogali Bihu is a harvest festival celebrated in Assam. The festival kick-started with the burning of traditional Meji and Bhelaghar made from thatch and fire woods.
- People offered prayers to God Agni. Various cultural programmes and traditional sports are held as part of the celebrations.
AB Mathur appointed Government interlocutor for talks with ULFA: On 2nd January 2018, the central government appointed AB Mathur as interlocutor on its behalf to hold talks with the United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA).
- AB Mathur is an IPS officer of the 1975 batch. He is the former special secretary of the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW).
- Earlier he worked with the Intelligence Bureau (IB). ULFA (United Liberation Front of Assam) functions in Assam
Assam Launches ‘ChahBagicharDhanPuraskarMela 2017-18’ Scheme For Tea Garden Workers: On 2ndJanuary 2018, Assam Chief Minister SarbanandaSonowal launched ‘ChahBagicharDhanPuraskarMela 2017-18’ at a function held at SarbanandaSingha auditorium in Tinsukia, Assam.
- During the launch SarbanandaSonowal distributed cheques to beneficiaries. Under this scheme people belonging to tea community who opened bank accounts during demonetisation will be credited Rs 2500 in their accounts.
- In the demonetisation period, 6,58,250 tea community members opened bank accounts. Assam government will spend Rs. 182 crore for giving financial incentives to all the account holders.
Assam wins 8th Sub-junior National Hockey Championship: On 14th January 2018, Assam Hockey won the 8th Hockey India Sub Junior Men National Championship 2018 (B Division), at Hojai Hockey stadium, in Assam.
- Assam Hockey beat Hockey Rajasthan 3-2 in the final and won the 8th Hockey India Sub Junior Men National Championship 2018 (B Division). The Championship was hosted by Assam.
“Majuli: Resources and Challenges” – Book explores Majuli, its challenges: “Majuli: Resources and Challenges” is a book that appreciates the beauty and challenges of Majuli in Assam ,a world’s largest freshwater river island and the single island district in India.
- “Majuli: Resources and Challenges” was edited by Sanjib Kumar Borkakoti. It was published by Authorspress.
- This book is a collection of essays written by experts. It is filled with photographs, maps, diagrams and charts.